We are halfway through Simon and Penguin’s Fireside Tales. That means we have arrived at chapter three.
As always, you can download the transcript with a glossary so you can follow as you listen. After you have watched the video, use the quiz to test your understanding.
At the end of chapter two, we left biologist Edward Wilson and his two companions shivering in their tent trying to decide whether or not to continue their journey. Watch chapter three to find out what happened next.
Chapter Three – Trial by Ice
How well did you understand the story so far?
Try and answer these questions. You can watch the video again.
1. Why did the explorers have to stop so often?
- To eat and drink
- Because they were lost
- To take action to stop frostbite
- To rest
2. Why did Garrard have problems with his vision?
- Because he was snow-blind
- Because he couldn’t wear his spectacles due to condensation from his breathing
- He was short-sighted
- The ice on his face got in the way
3. How many hours did they travel each day?
- Two or three
4. In a blizzard, what happened to the temperature?
- It decreased slightly
- It fluctuated between -40°C and -61°C
- It increased a little
- It went up a lot
5. The explorers slept well during the journey.
DOWNLOAD Transcript and glossary (pdf)
DOWNLOAD Quiz (pdf)
1c, 2b, 3c, 4d, 5b
Do you want to know how the journey continues? Come back next month for chapter four.