It’s time for chapter two of Fireside Tales.
If you missed chapter one, you can catch up here.
Don’t forget, you can also download the transcript with a glossary so you can follow as you listen. After you have watched the video, use the quiz to test your understanding.
In chapter one, we learned the background to the ‘worst journey in the world’. In chapter two, Simon and Penguin begin the story of how the three explorers walked across Antarctica in the winter of 1911.
Chapter Two – The Journey Begins
Watch Chapter Three or try the quiz.
How well did you understand the story so far?
Try and answer these questions. You can watch the video again.
1. When do emperor penguins lay their eggs?
- Early spring
- The middle of winter
- Autumn / fall
2. Why did Dr Wilson decide to walk to the penguin colony?
- Because sea ice made travel by ship impossible at this time of year
- Because there were no aircraft
- Because he needed the exercise
- Because he didn’t want to frighten the penguins
3. Why did Dr Wilson take two companions on the trip?
- To help him pull the sledges
- Because he was lonely
4. Which one of these sources of light did they not have during the trip?
- Direct sunlight
- Starlight and moonlight
- Candles and matches
- The Aurora
5. The explorers were optimistic about reaching the penguin colony.
DOWNLOAD Transcript and glossary (pdf)
DOWNLOAD Quiz (pdf)
1b, 2a, 3a, 4ac, 5b
Watch Chapter Three.