Welcome to our new series of videos: Fireside Tales.
It’s the middle of winter here in Europe. The days are dark and cold so it’s a perfect time to sit around the fire and tell stories.
Here, on the Stratford Teachers blog, you can watch the videos and test your listening comprehension. You can also download the transcript with a glossary so you can follow as you listen.
There are six videos in this series. We will release a new one every few weeks. If you want to know when each new video is ready to watch, subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Here is Chapter One of Fireside Tales. Simon tells the story of the events of another winter far away and a long time ago.
Chapter One – The Mission
How well did you understand the story so far?
Try and answer these questions. You can watch the video again.
1. Where do Emperor Penguins live?
- The South Atlantic
2. Who was the leader of the 1902 expedition?
- Edward Wilson
- Emperor Penguin
- Robert Scott
- A Russian explorer
3. How heavy is an Emperor Penguin?
- Up to 130 pounds
- Up to 60 kilos
- At least 45 kilos
- No more than 45 kilos
4. In which year did “the worst journey in the world” happen?
- The year 2000
5. Why did Dr Wilson want Emperor Penguin eggs?
- To find out how birds evolved from dinosaurs
- To complete his egg collection
- So that the expedition could have eggs for breakfast
- Because he liked penguins
DOWNLOAD Transcript and glossary (pdf)
DOWNLOAD Quiz (pdf)
1c, 2c, 3d, 4b, 5a